Catches of the week
- Chama River: Steve Owens of Santa Fe caught a 22-inch brown trout Dec. 4. He was fishing below Cooper’s and using a small streamer.
- Rio Grande: Matthew Ryan Castillo of Rio Rancho caught a 27-inch, 4.74-pound walleye Dec. 6. He was fishing the river through the Rio Grande Valley State Park and using a 3-inch Yum grub on a 1/8-ounce chartreuse red-eye jig head.
The following reports came in late but deserve a mention:
- Caballo Lake: Antonio Aguirre, 6, of El Paso caught and released his first fish ever, a 12-inch walleye Dec. 2. His brother Mauricio Aguirre, 5, also caught his first fish ever, a largemouth bass. Both boys were using swim shad.
- Fenton Lake: Bobby Gasche, 11, of Los Lunas, caught his first brown trout Dec. 2. He was using an inflated night crawler.
- Rio Penasco: Keith Nalley of Roswell caught a 20-inch rainbow trout Dec. 2. He was using a barbless brown Pistol Pete.
- Tingley Beach: Raymond Maestas, 5, of Albuquerque, caught and released several rainbow trout Dec. 3. He was using white power worms.
If you have a catch of the week story or just want to tell us about your latest New Mexico fishing experience, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may include your story in our next report.
For catches of the week, include name, age, hometown, date, and location, type of fish, length and weight if possible and bait, lure or fly used.